Services > Permits

Get a head start on your project with permits

One of the very first steps you need to take before building that residential dock of your dreams is securing the proper permits. Through our commitment to customer service excellence, we’ll make sure the proper permits are in place as quickly as possible. We want you to enjoy every aspect of the construction process, so we’ll work with you to ensure every detail is looked after, right down to applying for a permit.

Our commitment to improving Okanagan Lake’s foreshore

Obtaining a Dock License and a Section 11 Application can be a timely process, so we recommend beginning the application process as soon as the dock design has been finalized.

We know how much you value your lakefront property, which is why we’ve partnered with Ecoscape Environment Consultants. Together we strive to ensure all the best practices are being followed during the designing and construction phases. We also spend a lot of time researching environment information so we can continue to achieve environmental goals. By committing to sustainable practices and promoting environmental stewardship, your property and the rest of the lake will continue to remain one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Request a Quote
Shoreline will assist with your Okanagan Lake dock permitting process

Permitting for commercial and residential dock structures on Okanagan Lake

A successful project begins with efficient and effective planning. With many years of experience with the permitting process, our team is able to complete all necessary permits and applications on our client’s behalf.

1. Section 11 Application

All planned works to occur ‘in and around the water’ will require a Section 11 application. This is a notification to the Ministry of Environment (MOE) of the proposed work to be completed. Regardless of an existing permit or license, this application is a requirement for all planned construction.

The Section 11 Application takes approximately 45 days to process.

2. Land Tenure Application

If you don’t have a dock license/lease, we may need to apply for a Crown Land Tenure. This application takes approximately 140 days to process upon acceptance of the application by Integrated Land Management Bureau (ILMB).

Docks that require a specific permission:

  • An old license has expired and the structure does not meet the general permission guidelines
  • The plans include shared dock structures
  • An archaeological site is present
  • The dock is in a paper subdivision

Please note: An Environmental impact assessment (EIA), and/or a Qualified Environmental Professional checklist (QEP) may be required when applying for a Section 11 or Crown Land Tenure. An Environmental Consultant of your choice can obtain these reports.

3. Dock Guidelines

When applying for a permit it’s a good idea to be aware of these guidelines:

  • Dock access ramps and walkways shall not exceed a width of 1.5 meters. This is mostly due to the shading of the littoral zone (potential spawning area)
  • With respect to the lateral width of end deck, the rule is 50% of property up to a maximum width of 10 meters
  • The structure must be set back from the side property line of the upland parcel, projected onto the foreshore, and shall be a minimum of 5.0 meters.
  • Roof and overhead structures are not permitted

4. Colour Zones

The Ministry of Environment introduced the Okanagan Region Large Lakes Foreshore Protocol in 2009, complete with foreshore sensitivity maps, risk ratings for specific development activities, and preferred procedures and practices. The combined use of this information will help to maintain important foreshore habitats.

The colour zones are as follows:

  • Black = critical habitat (Okanagan Lake and Kalamalka Lake)
  • Red = high to very high value habitat
  • Yellow = generally moderate, with some high value habitat
  • No colour = unclassified or low value habitat

Each color zone has a least risk timing window, and must be adhered to during the construction process.

Front Counter BC Vernon for dock permit guidelines:
2501-14th Ave Vernon BC V1T-8H2
ph: 250-558-1700
, fx: 250-549 5485

More Tips From The Pros

Aerial view of a dock build on Okanagan Lake in 2022DocksPro Tips
20 April 2023

Okanagan Lake Dock Permits: Answers to Your Top FAQs

Okanagan Lake dock permits are the first step toward building your dream dock in Kelowna. Here’s everything you need to know about permits and applications.
DocksPro Tips
14 December 2022

There’s a Shape for That: 4 Aluminum Dock Designs on Okanagan Lake

Did you know there are four distinct shapes for docks? Each shape plays an important function and provides Okanagan Lake property owners with a specific set of benefits.

Let’s Get Started

If you’re ready to apply for the necessary commercial and residential dock permits, reach out. We’d love to help! Contact us online or call us at (250) 769-7694.

Contact Us